WHAT IS THE EMR-SDGS LEARNING PLATFORM?
The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development presents an unprecedented opportunity for countries to achieve their development goals, especially those related to health. In the absence of a universal blueprint for achieving
sustainable development, there is a need for countries to capture learning and share contextualized knowledge.
The Eastern Mediterranean Region (EMR) Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) Learning Platform is a collaboration between the Alliance for Health Policy and Systems Research and the Division of Health Protection and Promotion at the WHO Regional Office for the Eastern Mediterranean. It is implemented by the Social Research Centre of the American University in Cairo.
The EMR-SDGs Learning Platform is both an offline network and online virtual space. The platform works to identify policies, approaches and interventions in countries of the region that contribute to achieving the health-related SDGs.
The Learning Platform will ensure that:
Context-relevant knowledge is shared across EMR countries and contributes towards policy action.
Dialogue and debate on SDGs implementation are stimulated.
Active exchange and collaborative approaches promote activities towards the health-related SDGs.
- Establish an inclusive learning platform to facilitate knowledge and experience exchange across different government sectors, civil society and the public.
- Build partnerships between relevant institutions in the EMR to help unify, identify, advertise and promote activities towards achieving the health-related SDGs through multi-sectoral action.
- Share tacit knowledge and evidence on governance structures and mechanisms to support SDG achievement, while recognizing regional context.
- Contribute to policy action through evidence- based, multistakeholder learning modalities.
- Develop an online webportal of resources, knowledge and regionallyspecific approaches towards achieving the health-related SDGs.